Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Just to be clear

I don't want my post from Friday to be construed as being anti-immigration. Just the opposite, I am thrilled that the people who are brave enough to leave the country they were born in and choose to come to the U.S. My great-grandparents did it, my wife's grandparents did it. Here's the big difference. They did it legally and made a conscious effort to do everything they could to make sure they were successful in their new home. This included learning and using English. Yes, my great grandparents still spoke Yiddish in the home (usually when they wanted to curse or didn't want us kinder to know what they were saying), but when they went out in public it was always English.

What I'm saying is that immigrating to the US is not a right, it's a privilege, we shouldn't have to change to make it easier on you to come here. You should be willing to change to take full advantage of the opportunities that America offers.

No comments: